Guide for Beginners
The object of the game
Like lots of different games, the object of bowls is essentially simple. It can be played by anyone, but to play consistently well demands determination, concentration and and lots of practice.
The game is played on a square of closely cut grass called 'the green', which is divided into playing areas called rinks.
The green is surrounded by a small ditch to catch bowls which leave the green, and a bank upon which markers indicate the corners and centrelines of each rink.
Players take turns to deliver their bowls from a mat at one end of the rink towards a small white ball called the jack at the other end. The bowls are shaped so that they take a curved path towards the jack. To be successful the bowl must be delivered with the correct weight, along the correct line which helps get the bowl close.
The object is to get one or more of your bowls closer to the jack than those of your opponents on each end - one point is scored for each counting bowl.
There are lots of different formats to the game of bowls, but the most common in England are singles or in teams of pairs, triples or fours. In singles, the winner is the first to score 21 points. In the other three formats, the winner is the team that scores the most points over a set number of ends.
If you are thinking about taking up this great game, whether to be really competitive or just to take up a new hobby and make new friends, then you will need to start out with some of the following items - all of which can be found on our website.
* Men's Trousers (Grey or White).
* Ladies Skirts, Trousers or Cropped Trousers (Grey or White).
* White shirts or blouses. White Sweaters and Jackets.
* See the range of regulation lace-ups, slip-on's or velcro fastening shoes in white, grey or tan.
* A Measure and Chalk Spray. A 4 bowl or a 2 bowl carrier. A bowls bag.
* Jackets, Trousers, Skirts, Hats and an Umbrella!
* Lots of sizes, lots of colours, with or without grips.
The choice is up to you. Don't delay - browse through our website, make your selection and then join your local club today!